Friday, September 5, 2014

Dialect Maps

So today in Pre-Calc we got a little off topic and discussed how to pronounce root. We decided that root rhyming with boot sounds better than root rhyming with soot.  This reminded me of the dialect maps that made the rounds on the internet a year or so ago.  So for all the word nerds out there, here is a link to the quiz.  Once you take the quiz you can explore the maps and see how you place in the US. By the way, and much to my mortification, it turns out most of my dialect can be traced to Northern Minnesota/Wisconsin.  I think I may need some speech therapy.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog must first be approved by Mr. Sharp. When you leave a comment it will be emailed to Mr. Sharp. Once he approves the comment it will be posted on this blog.